Gluten Free Caramel Apple Galette
- 3 1/3 cups, plus 2½ tablespoons (15 ounces) all-purpose, gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) sweet butter, cold, finely diced
- ½ vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoons milk, cold
- 2 tablespoons water, cold
- 8 large Rome apples, peeled, cored, sliced 3⁄8 inches thick
- 1¼ cups (1½ sticks or 6 ounces) sweet butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Zest of 2 lemons, finely grated
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, and mix until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the liquids and mix until dough barely comes together. Flatten the dough and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Roll the dough into six ¼- to 3⁄8-inch-thick circles, about 6 inches in diameter. Refrigerate again.
- Prepare the apple filling according to the directions that follow.
- Place the dough circles on a baking sheet and divide the cooled apples among them.
- Fan or shingle the apples, keeping ½ inch of the outer circumference of dough free of apples. lift the sides of dough up and over the apples covering the outer one-half of apples. lightly sprinkle granulated sugar over sides of dough.
- Chill the galettes for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sauté the apples in butter on high heat until they start to brown.
- Add the sugars and vanilla bean and allow to lightly caramelize.
- Transfer the mixture to a stainless steel container, zest the lemons over the apples and cool.
Cook’s tip: Use King Arthur gluten-free flour.
Baking time: 10 to 14 minutes. Chilling time: 1 hour (dough), 10 minutes (galettes).
Nutritional Analysis: Calories: 470, Carbohydrates: 58 g, Protein: 4 g, Fat: 27 g, Cholesterol: 70 mg, Sodium: 200 mg, Fiber: 5 g