Check out this healthy salad which contains both spinach and berries. Alter ingredients as you need or as they become available or in season. I am a fan of recipes that you alter to meet your food preferences. This one is a perfect example – change out the berries or use almonds instead of pecans. Add a little olive oil in place of the rice vinegar. Too sweet? Cut back on the honey. Prefer Candied Nuts instead – check out this easy recipe?
Spinach Salad with Berries & Curry Dressing
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 pound of fresh strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or almonds)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt and pepper, optional
- Wash and dry spinach. I recommend washing and rinsing 3 times before adding the spinach to your salad spinner. Give a good spin to thoroughly dry the leaves.
- Wash and dry strawberries, slice
- Wash and dry blueberries
- Thinly slice the small red onion
- Whip together dressing ingredients (vinegars, honey, curry, mustard & salt/pepper)
- Combine spinach, onions, berries and dressing to a bowl; toss lightly.
- Top with nuts and enjoy